Missions & Outreach
The missions & outreach team at Sandy Springs UMC offers members and guests of all ages and abilities the opportunity to get involved in reaching out to the community. We work with many community groups and organizations to reach out and share the love of God in tangible ways. If you need more information about any of the available activities, contact Amber Lea Gray at email@example.com
CURRENT VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Feed N Seed: Help is needed for greeting, serving and after-meal cleaning each Sunday afternoon from 12:45-1:45
- Open Hearts Closet: Help is needed on Thursdays 11am-12pm for sorting and folding.
- Angel Tree: Each Christmas SSUMC supports various charitable organizations by collecting and delivering gifts to families.
- Community Thanksgiving Meal: Each Thanksgiving, a traditional meal is served on Thanksgiving Day to anyone in need from 11am until 1pm. Clothing is also available and crafts for the children are provided.
- United Methodist Children's Home
We have an Alcoholics Anyonymous meeting that meets every Tuesday at 8:00 pm in the church fellowship hall. Come to the main building and drive around the back where you see a number of glass doors, that is the fellowship hall!
OPEN HEARTS CLOSET
The Open Hearts Closet, located in the warm, inviting house directly next to the main church building, offers gently used clothing and hygiene kits to men, women, and children who are in need. These items are provided free of charge through the generous donations of community groups and our members. The Closet is open every 1st and 3rd Sunday, from 1pm – 2pm.
FEED N SEED-WEEKLY COMMUNITY LUNCH
Every Sunday afternoon, from 1-2 pm, we offer a meal and fellowship to anyone in the community who is in need. SSUMC has partnered with several wonderful organizations to make this possible. These groups each take a turn providing food and service to our guests. There are ways that individuals can can commit in on-going service or fill in 'as needed.'
Back Paks is a new program (started in February 2013), that is providing weekend snacks and light meals for 175 needy children at Ison Springs Elementary School and Lake Forest Elementary School in Sandy Springs. The backpacks are prepared by volunteers on Wednesday afternoons at 6pm. For more information about this program contact the church office.
COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE CENTER (C.A.C)
The church family at SSUMC provides both financial and volunteer support for many of the programs provided by the C.A.C. Some of the programs we are involved in are the food pantry, the clothes closet, and the summer lunch program for children.